Brazil nut is a delicious fruit family laricicola. It grows on a tree in the jungles of Latin America. In honor of the famous scientist Claude Bertolle the tree was named bertholletia.
The fruits have reached our latitude by Spanish explorers in the 16th century. To try strange fruit made them hard life of the military.
Surprisingly, the nutritional value is so exceeded expectations that the Spaniards stocked up this miracle nut and brought it to Europe.
Today, the place of growing trees are Brazil, Peru, Bolivia, Venezuela, Colombia, Guyana, Sri Lanka, Tobago. The main exporter of this product is Bolivia, where you get 50 percent of the fruit. In second place is Brazil and Peru.
How to grow Brazil nuts
In the rainforest of the Amazon river grows a very large tree up to 50 meters, the trunk line diameter up to 2 m. It has smooth bark, long large leaves that collected in the brush. His yellow or gray-green deep large flowers are pollinated with the help of huge bees with a long proboscis, and bumblebees that live there.
Viability in the wild they are very long, the tree can live for a Millennium. That is not true of plants that are cultivated on plantations. To bear fruit these plants, but not in large numbers, their life is also not so long.
The fruits look similar to coconuts, just in the middle they have not a milky liquid, and nuts. These boxes with lids weigh about two kilograms, the diameter reaches up to 15 cm Because there is not one nut, and to 24, between themselves, they separated a hard shell.
To grow Brazil nuts can be planted hard into the ground. Many of them will germinate. This process checked by rodents agotime who love to hide the fruit in the ground. Thus, they make their stocks, and most importantly, planting new trees. In addition to rodents eat more nuts Capuchin monkeys.
By the way, in botany fruits are not nuts, and grains.
Useful properties of Brazil nut
Before considering the properties of bertholletia, you need to know what is in this miracle fruit. Most importantly, the rich fruit is unsaturated fats, which it contains up to 70 percent.
Therefore, the calorie Brazil nut per 100 grams on average from 660 to 700 calories, which allows you to saturate the body for the whole day.
Other components, such as water, carbohydrates, protein, fiber, ash, flavonoids, amino acids and oil, occupy the remaining 30%.
Vitamin complex represented by almost all group b vitamins, folic acid, choline, Niacin, or PP, vitamin C, E, N.
Macro - and microelements play a significant role in the vital processes of the body.
Therefore, the number of data elements in bertholletia they can be divided into three groups:
- more than just nuts, potassium, phosphorus and zinc;
- a little less calcium, magnesium, iron and selenium;
- and very little sodium, chlorine, sulfur, fluorine, iodine, manganese and copper.
All of this allows the fruit to show their antioxidant action in the fight against cancer, heart disease and blood vessels.
Flavonoids provide oxidation, reduction processes in the body that prevents the aging of cells. Amino acids burn excess fat, thus reducing body weight, but the muscles on the contrary are increased. That's just do not get carried away, 2 or 3 nuts a day is sufficient for adult, 1 for child, subject to regular or periodic use.
Benefits and harms of Brazil nut
The fruits have several useful properties that are beneficial to us. To use all of their tasty and well learned, the nuts can be eaten fried, salty, sweet and raw. Add to salads, cold dishes, pastries, desserts, ice cream.
You will feel not only an interesting spicy flavor, but feel like your body is filled with strength and vigor.
What exactly is the benefit of nuts:
- It restores the cardiovascular system, causing pressure and cholesterol is reduced, blood clots faster, the risk is again reduced;
- Fruit increases resistance to stress and depression. This allows the body to improve their health, calm the nervous system, relieve fatigue and enhance immunity;
- For children and adolescents its properties give stimulation to the synthesis of growth hormones. People with small stature can also go up a little;
- Women and men, it will enhance the function of reproduction;
- Prevention and treatment of cataract, arteriosclerosis, cancer, such as breast, colon, lung, prostate;
- Brazilian walnut has a rejuvenating, regenerating effect on the skin, improves its elasticity, nourishes and smoothes wrinkles;
- The oil strengthens your nails, gives hair Shine, heals wounds, relieves inflammation;
- Normalization of blood sugar, good for diabetics.
Useful properties of Brazil nut outweigh the contraindications. But to know about them, we should too.
So what harm is having a miracle fruit on our body with a large drink:
- accumulate a lot of selenium, which leads to poisoning;
- causes nervous disorders;
- observed the confluence of the hairline on the head;
- dermatitis of the skin;
- allergic reaction, such as rash;
- in rare cases, the development of liver cancer due to aflatoxin;
- substance radium, which has radioactive properties.
During pregnancy Brazil nuts better to eat in small quantities with a mixture of other nuts. They can be purchased in stores. Only pay attention to the expiration date.
By the way, in our country the fruits arrive on the shelves of markets in the cleaned, roasted, which increases their storage, but not good. If you buy these, it is necessary to store in tightly closed containers in the refrigerator for about two years. Raw nuts are perishable, so their import is difficult.
Brazil nuts – recipes
Many traditional recipes Brazil, the US contain this ingredient as bertholletia. Provide you some of the most popular. During pregnancy you may also eat them.
- 1.2 liters of chicken broth;
- 2 tablespoons butter;
- 2 tablespoons flour;
- quarter spoon peel nutmeg;
- a glass of fresh cream;
- a half Cup of miracle fruit (Brazil nuts);
- 2 pomegranate;
- pepper white.
Fresh fruit roast 10 minutes at 200 degrees. Studim, remove the peel, grind in a blender. There pour warm broth, a little, mix to form a paste.
In a saucepan put butter, melt. It fry the flour, add the rest of the broth, nuts, cream, but not all, spices. Simmer 20 minutes on low flame. When the soup has thickened, add the remaining cream, the juice of one pomegranate, seeds sprinkle the top of the second.
Amazing benefits of nutritious soup will give you energy for the whole day!
Pasta of Brazil nut:
- garlic – three cloves;
- Brazil nuts raw – 400 grams;
- salt – spoon;
- lemons (their juice) – two pieces;
- water – 100 grams;
- dried tomatoes – 200 grams.
Cleaned rinse the fruit with cold water. Squeezing the juice out of lemons. In a blender throw all ingredients, whisk until smooth. The finished pasta used to taste: spread on a bun, dressed salads, meat, fish.
Brazil nuts in the cupcake:
- 300 grams of flour;
- 200 grams butter;
- 150 grams of sugar;
- 5 eggs;
- 100 grams of fruit;
- a half-spoon of soda;
- 100 grams of jam;
- 100 grams of chocolate.
Beat eggs with sugar, add melted butter, again whisk. Then pour the flour, soda, some favorite jam, mix well.
Grease the form for muffin with butter, sprinkle with flour or semolina. Chopped fruits at the bottom of the form, pour a portion of dough, jam, grated chocolate, cover with all the remaining batter.
Bake in preheated oven at 190 degrees for 45 minutes. Of course, the willingness you need to check with a toothpick.
Brazil nuts – a tasty healthy fruit. Use for the benefit of themselves and be healthy!