Cervicitis in pregnancy: causes, symptoms, types
Cervicitis is inflammation in the vaginal segment of the cervix. The disease is accompanied by pain in the abdomen and profuse vaginal discharge. Cervicitis is dangerous because it can lead to erosion, thickening of the cervix.
In the absence of treatment with a high probability of spreading the inflammation to other genitals.
How dangerous is the infection that occurred during pregnancy?
This condition can harm both of the mother and fetus. It should be noted that threat and the causes that provoke it.
- Genital infections – gonorrhea, trichomoniasis, chlamydia and many others;
- Genital herpes;
- The human papillomavirus (HPV);
- Injuries of the cervix in the medical history, for example, mechanical damage during the abortion, diagnostic curettage, removing/installing the intrauterine device, an artificial extension of the neck;
- Failure to comply with the rules of intimate hygiene;
- Allergic reaction to spermicides, latex, etc.
Cervicitis during pregnancy: symptoms
Inflammation first shows itself, intense vaginal discharge.
A little later they are joined by other signs:
- itching, burning, redness of the external genitalia;
- burning when you urinate;
- painful sexual acts, after which may experience spotting;
- pain in the abdomen;
- the increase in temperature.
The gynecologist at survey notes the redness and swelling of the external opening of the cervical canal, the protrusion of the uterine mucosa, small hemorrhages and expressions.
Largely manifestations of the disease depend on its causes, as well as the General state of immunity. For example, if the root cause was gonorrhea, there is a vivid manifestation of the inflammatory process, but when it chlamydia symptoms less noticeable.
Pathology, appeared on the background of herpes, characterized by bright red cervix, its porosity and expressions. If trichomoniasis is present in the smear atypical cells, and on the neck – small hemorrhages. HPV can cause the formation of warts and extensive expression.
The danger of this disease during pregnancy is that in the early stages of development, it does not issue, i.e., can occur completely asymptomatic.
If a woman did not find it sharp the current, it becomes chronic. The latter is characterized by less pronounced symptoms and a prolonged course, however, is no less a threat to the fetus.
If treatment is not available, the inflammation extends to the surrounding tissues, glands, leads to the formation of cysts and infiltrates, there is a seal of the cervix. It is impossible to neglect preventive gynecological examinations, because it affects the baby's health and most women. For these purposes, it is also recommended to seriously approach the issue of planning for the child: to pass all the necessary tests, pass, if necessary, proper treatment. At the same to be surveyed needs and the future father of the child.
A you can tell by the nature of the discharge, for example, in gonorrhea, they are yellowish, with admixture of pus; if the Mycoplasma and chlamydia transparent or white with a yellowish tinge; with urogenital trichomoniasis – frothy; candidiasis are the same as for thrush – white, cheesy consistency.
Acute, chronic cervicitis, other types and pregnancy
The acute form is characterized by an abrupt beginning and a rapid progression. Inflammation and infection manifest themselves clearly. Usually at the same time has all the symptoms of the disease.
The chronic form occurs on the background of other diseases or is a consequence of untreated acute. In periods of exacerbations observed scarce Muco-purulent discharge, the cervix swells slightly.
Prolonged chronic course thickens the cervix, there is erosion.
- Purulent form is accompanied by a corresponding emissions, the cause of which become sexual infections. Most purulent cervicitis combined with gonorrhoea;
- Atrophic form is characterized by thinning of the tissues of the cervix. When running the pathological process affects other organs, interruption of urination. It is worth noting that atrophic form often develops from chronic inflammation;
- Viral cervicitis, respectively, occurs due to viruses (e.g. HPV, herpes). The treatment itself always a complex and complicated enough, to appoint immunomodulators, antiviral, conduct irrigation of the uterus of pharmaceutical compositions;
- The bacterial form is not characterized by severe symptoms, but violations of the vaginal flora present. The reasons lie in bacterial infections – vaginosis, gonorrhea, vaginitis, etc.;
- Cystic appearance of cervical infection is the most unpleasant. It usually occurs on the background of several infections affecting the organism (staphylococci, chlamydia, Trichomonas, Streptococcus). In the end, starts the pathological proliferation of cylindrical epithelium on the surface of the uterus and its obliteration of cysts that can be combined with erosions;
- Nonspecific cervicitis is not associated with the infection and usually develops on the background of bacterial vaginosis. It is usually diagnosed in young women. It works abundant vaginal discharge with an admixture of pus.
What is the danger of the infection to the fetus during pregnancy
This disease greatly increases the risk of complications. This includes spontaneous abortion in the first trimester and premature delivery at a later date, and intrauterine infection of the fetus. The baby born of a sick mother in the first week of life may develop purulent lesion of the skin/internal organs.
The main danger is that the germs that caused the cervicitis, can penetrate upward path (through the cervical canal) to the child, thus infecting him. In the early stages of pregnancy there is a high possibility of embryopathy infectious origin, resulting in placental insufficiency and disorders of the formation of the fetus. You may also experience miscarriage or missed abortion.
Due to cervicitis the cervix may delay child development, as well as local or generalized infectious disease. It should be noted that generalized forms of infections occur even in the early stages, because the child in the womb cannot localize the inflammatory process. In the later stages of infection lead to the narrowing of the channels and holes. In the future, there is abnormal development of the formed bodies appear pseudorosette, for example, hydrocephalus.
First gynecological examination.
- bacterial cultures for determination of the causative agent and its sensitivity to antibiotics;
- smear on the vaginal microflora;
- PCR analysis;
- pH-metry vaginal discharge;
- analysis of blood, urine;
How many tests and what you need to pass, may say only the doctor, guided by clinical symptoms.
It is sometimes necessary to resort to special methods of diagnosis – DNA probe, enzyme immunoassay analysis.
Treatment of acute and chronic cervicitis in pregnancy
After examining the test results, the doctor prescribes drugs on the basis of the identified sensitivity of microorganisms to antibiotics. In the presence of chronic diseases is required to Supplement therapy vitamin complexes and funds that support the immune system. Can be assigned therapeutic baths, and douching.
To prevent the recurrence of the disease and its complications, treatment of infection arising during pregnancy, a woman should strictly follow the doctor's instructions. It is worth noting that the therapy needs to undergo both sexual partner. For the duration of the course is to abstain from sexual activity. In the future you need to see your doctor regularly. The latter, in turn, assigns the measures to restore the cervix, eliminates existing damaging.
The physician must take measures to prevent the artificial termination of pregnancy. It is worth noting that the therapy may include radio wave exposure and other physical therapy procedures. Also it is not excluded that the pregnancy should be interrupted.
In any case not engage in self-diagnosis and self-treatment! It can be dangerous to your health and well-being of your baby!