Common causes of dizziness
These complaints in medical practice occur very often. The most common causes of whirling of the head remain irregularities in the vestibular system, osteochondrosis of the cervical spine, inflammation of the internal ear, disorders of the mental sphere, with reduced blood pressure and dysfunction of the cerebral circulation.
The causes of dizziness and intermittent nausea can indicate a serious condition, primarily the Central nervous system.
The patient defines dizziness as disorientation in the surrounding space. Thus the patient can feel the rotation of the objects or himself.
This symptom occurs when stimulation of three body systems responsible for maintaining balance of the body in the surrounding space:
Depending on the level of the lesion, experts distinguish two groups of vertigo: peripheral and Central. The first has its basis any violations of the peripheral vestibular apparatus, the vestibular nerve trunks.
If the cause of vertigo was a disease of the Central nervous system, we speak about a Central form.
The causes of dizziness according to the basic characteristics:
- Hearing loss and discharge from the ear canal speak in favor of the inflammatory process in the inner ear;
- Causes vertigo, nausea, followed by vomiting, weakness in patients with hearing loss and tinnitus is primarily syndrome and ménière's disease. If the patient is not concerned about violations on the part of the organ of hearing, it is the main cause of these symptoms is vestibular neuritis. It is characterized by sudden onset: marked whirling of the head and frequent vomiting, increased dizziness when you change the position to vertical. These symptoms usually disappear after 2-3 days of onset. Some patients after recovery retain a feeling of motion during linear acceleration;
- Causes of constant nausea, vomiting and dizziness with simultaneous dysfunction of the hearing — perilymphatic fistula. The patient abruptly develops a sudden unilateral deafness, tinnitus, accompanied by vomiting. In this disease the symptoms are of different severity;
- Causes nausea, hearing loss on one side and the development of a headache – volume processes in the brain. The most typical symptoms the patient dizzy, a sign becomes strong when the change of body position, and unilateral hearing loss. Often the patient has headaches, they gradually increase, becoming more intense;
- Causes of sudden dizziness, which were not previously disturbed, and nausea is often one of vehicle motion sickness experienced by a large percentage of people while traveling in aircraft, buses, marine transport;
- On diseases of the cervical spine says dizziness, accompanied by unstable position, dezorientirovanija. All the symptoms are aggravated by movement in the cervical spine, especially sharp or sudden. The patient may present complaints of neck pain, limitation of range of motion in the spine;
- Dizziness is accompanied by head injuries and "whiplash" injuries. A whiplash injury occurs as a result of excessive flexion, and then perenashivanie cervical vertebrae. It happens more often in accidents of road transport, under heavy braking. It should be remembered that dizziness develops within 1-2 weeks after the accident. External signs of trauma are usually absent;
- If the dizzy only when changing position of the body, then we can talk about positional vertigo, it is benign. The disease is determined by a simple positional test;
- Basilar migraine begins with the patient for a few minutes or an hour before the headache begins to get woozy. The disease is accompanied by other neurological symptoms: tinnitus, vomiting, preceded by nausea;
- Sometimes when taking antibiotics side effect is the whirling of the head.
A true feeling of loss of spatial orientation is often combined with disorders of the psychovegetative status:
- Excessive sweating;
- Gag reflex;
- Pale skin;
- A feeling of anxiety.
Another important symptom of many diseases, is nausea, often accompanied by vomiting.
This symptom the patient feels in the throat or epigastric. Often, this condition ends involuntary discharge contents of the stomach. A special form of vomiting, "fountain", is a specific diagnostic symptom of increased intracranial pressure.
The most frequently symptom is associated with a decrease in the functional activity of the gastrointestinal tract, namely - changes in motor functions of the intestinal tube.Severe manifestations, which precede vomiting, is usually said about the altered activity of the autonomic nervous system.
Patient records such symptoms:
- Pale skin;
- Low blood pressure and slowing heart rate - vasovagal syndrome;
- Ptyalism (excessive salivation);
- Excessive sweating.
Vomiting, preceded by nausea are symptoms of functional or organic disorders.
Listed below are the possible and most common causes of nausea and vomiting:
- Diseases of the abdominal cavity, including the condition, called one medical term "acute abdomen", are accompanied by these signs. For example, acute intestinal obstruction, appendicitis, cholecystitis, gastritis and so on;
- Chronic digestive disorders. Is aerophagia, peptic ulcers, all diseases and syndromes accompanied by stretching of the abdomen, feeling of weakness, a failure of the process of digestion. Sometimes the gag reflex develops by eating certain foods, for example, fatty;
- Acute disease, often with systemic lesions, especially in young patients, almost always accompanied with dyspeptic symptoms enumerated. Infection of the digestive system of various external agents (parasites, bacteria, viruses, protozoa) are often accompanied by changes in stool, exhausting vomiting;
- A major feature is the "vomiting fountain" that develops when the pressure inside the skull. This occurs when hydrocephalic syndrome, brain edema, tumors, and inflammation of the brain tissue of different nature;
- Myocardial infarction (mainly the posterior wall of the left ventricle) may be accompanied by severe nausea and vomiting. At the same time, should be specific to cardiac patients in whom these symptoms develop in the blood stasis in the liver tissue and when taking opiates, drugs based on digitalis;
- The critical state of the endocrine system are clinic these symptoms. It is adrenal crisis, diabetic acidosis, insufficiency of adrenal function;
- Causes of nausea in some patients on an empty stomach is gastritis and a chronic form of duodenitis. Nausea is characterized by the duration, it is painful and hard. If it originated on an empty stomach, it is usually not correctable with medication and disappears after a meal;
- Irritation of the receptor apparatus of the stomach and centre in the medulla oblongata leads to the considered characteristics. It happens when taking certain medicines, chemotherapy;
Insulated version of the symptom found in psychogenic disorders. It disappears quickly in case of emotional stress and remains long in psychogenic violation.
The manifestation of the above symptoms it is important to consult a doctor and undergo proper diagnosis for the correct diagnosis. Take care of yourself and don't ignore the trips to the doctor!