Cooking hummus at home
Hummus is a popular cold snack in the form of mashed potatoes, which came to us from the Middle East. The main ingredient for its preparation is chickpeas (chickpeas). The dish is truly universal: it can be served for breakfast, lunch or dinner for vegetarians and meat eaters, children and adults.
The classic recipe
Traditional hummus is made only in the Middle East. Its obligatory components are chickpea puree and tahini (sesame paste). The latter can be found in the store, but it will not be difficult to do it yourself. It gives a light nutty flavor to the dish.
In European countries and the USA, they prefer to add additional ingredients.
Ingredients for chickpea puree:
- Dry chickpeas - 250 gr.;
- Olive oil - 7 tbsp. spoons;
- Zira (another name for the seasoning - cumin) - 0.5 tsp;
- Garlic - 2 cloves;
- Lemon juice - 3 tbsp. spoons
- Salt, spices to taste.
Ingredients for tahini:
- Sesame - 6 tbsp spoons;
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp. spoon;
- Olive oil - 1 tbsp. spoon;
- Garlic - 1 clove;
- Salt, pepper
- Soak the chickpeas for 8 hours;
- Rinse and set to cook for 2 hours;
- Put in a sieve, leave the drained water for later use;
- Soak the boiled chickpeas in cold water and remove the shell from it, wipe it in your hands, drain the water;
- Wipe in a blender until puree;
- Pour into the finished puree the water left after cooking until you get the consistency of thick sour cream;
- Fry the sesame seeds in a dry frying pan or in the oven until golden brown;
- Let the beans cool and send them to the blender;
- Add olive oil and beat until the consistency of sour cream;
- Mix mashed potatoes and tahini;
- Add lemon juice, olive oil, seasonings, send to a blender for mixing.
Before serving, the dish must be refrigerated for an hour. Then you can decorate by making a depression, pouring olive oil on top and putting spices, herbs or pine nuts.
Shelf life in the refrigerator is two days.
The calorie content of classic hummus is about 200 kcal per 100 grams of product.
- Pumpkin pulp - 200 gr.;
- Chickpea - 350 gr.;
- Tahini (pasta) - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- Lemon juice - 1 tbsp. spoon;
- Cumin - 1 tsp;
- Olive oil - 2 tbsp. spoons;
- Cilantro - 25 gr.;
- Garlic - 1 pc.
- Prepare the chickpeas: pre-soak it, drain the water, boil until soft;
- Cut the pumpkin into pieces, add oil, bake in the oven until golden brown;
- Put boiled chickpeas, pumpkin, tahini paste, lemon juice, garlic and cumin in a blender, chop everything to a creamy consistency;
- Chop the cilantro, add it to the resulting puree, stir.
Serve with vegetables, croutons or bread. Caloric content about 220 kcal.
- < li> Chickpeas - 200 gr.;
- Pre-soak the chickpeas, drain the water, boil until soft;
- Cut the tomatoes, salt, send to the oven for half an hour. Then remove the skin from them, remove the seeds;
- Put the chickpeas, tomatoes, tahini, garlic, then salt and pepper and add lemon juice in a blender. Then you need to mix everything to the consistency of sour cream;
- Add chopped basil to the finished mixture.
Calorie content - about 250 kcal.
Tips & Tricks
- If you're on a time constraint, you can use canned chickpeas instead of dry chickpeas. It will not need to be soaked and cooked. The chickpeas themselves must be rinsed well beforehand, and the water from the jar should be left for making the chickpea puree.
- You can try adding seasonings to hummus - paprika (it gives a spicy taste), chili, parsley, cilantro, coriander. It is better to cook cumin and coriander yourself by frying in a pan and grinding the grains in a mortar. Finished ground grains will not have the same taste as roasted grains. It is better to add spices little by little, tasting the appetizer.
- You can diversify the dish by adding feta cheese, toasted tomatoes, onions, pine nuts.
What hummus is eaten with
Hummus is served as a sauce with pita bread, pita bread, or corn tortillas. They are convenient to eat even without using cutlery, just dipping the pieces into the pasta.
You can serve the dish with crackers, french fries or chips, spread it on sandwiches.
For lunch or dinner, you can cook meat and use hummus as a side dish.
Serving an appetizer with fresh and canned vegetables.
In the East, hummus is traditionally served in a flat cake or pita bread, from which it is eaten with spoons ... In many oriental restaurants, mashed potatoes are served, placing it along the edge of the tarelki, and in the middle they put meat, kebabs, mushrooms or fresh vegetables.
In the USA and Europe, hummus has become popular precisely because of its useful properties. It contains no cholesterol and gluten.
At the same time, the paste contains:
- Dietary fiber that improves digestive processes in organism, bowel function, relieve constipation and reduce blood cholesterol;
- Minerals: iron (increases hemoglobin in the blood), manganese (participates in the production of energy and antioxidants), molybdenum (has a neutralizing effect on preservatives in ready-made food);
- Tryptophan - improves brain activity;
- Vitamin B group;
- Protein, which is similar in composition to an animal. Therefore, it is often used by vegetarians.
Frequent consumption of chickpeas reduces the risk of cardiovascular disease, improves metabolism, lowers blood sugar.