Cooking Korean: kimchi sauce and its variations
Exotic cuisine have become part of our everyday life. The more people travel, the more enthusiastic responses get various national dishes, which we didn't know existed. One of such dishes is the national pride of Koreans, kimchi sauce.
Kimchi – property of the Republic
The original dish consisted of vegetables that have been fermented in a special marinade. The ancestors of modern Koreans had no other way to save the winter supplies, especially when all the famous cabbage was grown massively and got a huge popularity among the people.
Shifting long and narrow heads of cabbage spicy-salty mixture, the Koreans have achieved a remarkable effect: so the cabbage is not only amazingly delicious after a week, but could long be kept in the home, only improving its taste and useful qualities.
Sauce for marinating vegetables was used separately much later, when he was appreciated by the neighbors – the Japanese. Kimchi began to do and to use as a Supplement to sushi and rolls, and prepare on its basis the very tasty soups and other delicacies.
Koreans are so proud of their national dish, that every year organize a festival in his cooking, has managed to launch kimchi into space and recorded in the world heritage list of UNESCO.
What is the legendary sauce? It includes a whole list of seemingly incompatible ingredients which result in amazing taste. By the way, the red pepper part of the dish appeared around the 16th century when the Portuguese began to sail the world's oceans to trade spices. Prior to this problem was given by ginger.
Based on the classic recipe kimchi-obsessed Koreans invented a huge number of versions. We offer several options, the most adapted for the home environment, composed of affordable ingredients.
Kimchi: variations on a theme
In the structure of a classic kimchi is always included fish sauce. I want to warn Housewives that are far from Oriental cuisine: it is made of anchovies, by a long fermentation, a bit similar to soy in appearance, has a specific taste and aroma, but without it, the pasta prepared at home will not be authentic.
With green Apple
For cooking need:
- 3 large garlic heads;
- large green Apple (you can take Chinese pear);
- 2 large onions;
- a small bunch of green onions;
- Korean or Thai fish sauce, about 3 tablespoons;
- red ground hot peppers at home is it better to take chili, 2-3 tablespoons.
Some sources recommend buying special Korean pepper, kimchi called "Cojocaru", it's not as sharp as Chile, and you have to put it down to 5 tablespoons, but if you can't find this, not scary.
How to make a variant of dishes with apples at home:
- Clean the apples peeled and cut into pieces;
- In a blender put all ingredients, including onion, cut into pieces;
- Grind to a mushy state;
- The vegetables and added half a tablespoon of sugar, red pepper, remaining products.
Put the mixture in a jar and store in the refrigerator to pickle. The amount of red pepper can be reduced, although the original composition is very sharp, such that it can burn the skin if you marinate them cabbage without gloves.
The composition closer to the original, it uses Korean pasta kochujang, which resembles a tomato, but made from fermented rice, soybean and hot pepper:
- half a tablespoon of paste kochujang;
- 2-4 cloves of garlic;
- 35 ml of lime juice and rice vinegar;
- about 20 ml of fish sauce;
- a piece of ginger 2x2 cm
How to make a version with ginger at home:
- Garlic and ginger grind to a paste;
- Add the liquid ingredients, flavoring in this recipe is not put, as all components are quite sharp and salty. Do not attempt to replace the tomato paste kochujang, they have completely different compositions.
The resulting paste is put in a glass jar and store in the fridge.
To prepare this dish, which is also called South Korean, you will need the sesame seeds:
- dry, medium-size pods of chili peppers in the amount of 15-20 pieces;
- 100 ml of fish sauce;
- the small size of the bulb;
- 4-5 heads of garlic;
- a piece of peeled ginger, size 2x2 cm;
- 2-2,5 tablespoons of sugar;
- 1-1. 5 cups boiled rice;
- the same amount of water;
- roasted sesame seeds about a tablespoon.
How to cook a version with sesame seeds at home:
- In order to speed fermentation, add 1-1. 5 cups boiled rice;
- All ingredients, including boiled rice, mixed in a blender to a paste;
- Sesame seeds are slightly heated in a pan until Golden and add in the powdered mixture;
- To mass add water, sugar, the remaining ingredients.
Fermentation at home is better occurs at room temperature, with spicy pepper dish can easily stand out of the refrigerator for a week.
Adapted, with wostershire sauce and ketchup
For cooking do not need hot pepper, you can take the Worcestershire sauce.
This kimchi will perfectly complement vegetables, meat or seafood grill:
- 15-20 ml Worcestershire;
- 2-2, 5 tablespoons of pasta kochujang;
- 200 ml spicy ketchup;
- 2 heads of garlic;
- 110 ml rice vinegar;
- a piece of peeled ginger approximately 2x2 cm;
- one medium onion;
- about 100 ml of water.
How to prepare at home:
- Garlic cloves, ginger and onions grind in a blender to a paste;
- Add to the resulting mass the remaining ingredients and mix thoroughly;
- Last add water, making sure the weight is not too liquid in consistency;
- Boil on a slow fire about 10 minutes after boiling.
Store in refrigerator in glass container.
Kimch recipe Jamie Oliver
Kimchi recipe-famous British chef Jamie Oliver is the most simple and accessible to a wide audience, there are no complicated ingredients.
The portion is quite small, but its enough to try, do you like pasta cooked at home:
- 5-6 medium cloves of garlic;
- a piece of peeled ginger, the size of a finger;
- 2 tablespoons of sugar and fish sauce;
- about 3 tablespoons of pepper Cojocaru.
The sequence of preparation at home:
- Grind to a paste ginger and garlic;
- In the grinding process add sugar or sugar powder;
- Cojocaru add remaining ingredients.
If you have no possibility to buy Korean red pepper for kimchi, Jamie Oliver recommends to replace it with 2 tablespoons spicy red chili peppers.
Secrets and advice on cooking kimchi
Interesting details about the cooking of spicy pasta:
- The color mixture adds a special red pepper variety which is called Cojocaru. It can be powdery or in the form of flakes, but always very bright red and not as spicy as chili pepper;
- When the mixture of peppers Cojocaru get enough saturated color, hostesses also add in kimchi tomato paste. In the original recipe there is even a Mandarin, but never had tomatoes, so at home it is better to tint paprika powder. Fortunately, it can be put indefinitely;
- Traditionally, the paste is used to marinate the cabbage and the activator of the fermentation process is fish sauce and, in some cases, boiled rice or congee;
- The original sauce is very spicy, therefore, contraindicated for use in food for people with problems of the gastrointestinal tract and are just not used to spicy food. This does not mean that you shouldyou completely abandon the kimchi is put in it as much pepper as you want, adapt the recipe for yourself and your home;
- At home, in Korea, on the basis of the sauce cook for about 200 different foods and believe it prolongs youthfulness;
- In Japan, kimchi is commonly mixed with a local variant of mayonnaise and used as a special additive for rolls and sushi;
- Each region has its secrets and nuances of cooking, just North and South Korea, there are slightly more than 100 recipes.
Buy ready-made kimchi you can, if your city has a specialized Asian stores. In the retail sale of pastas – Midori or Base (base), whose members include mandarins, as a mandatory ingredient. If you buy a sauce, try to cook it at home, most likely, after that you will become a fan of Korean snacks based on kimchi.