Cosmetic repair of apartments qualitatively and quickly: helpful tips for beginners
A couple of decades ago under redecoration meant the usual wallpapering, flooring replacement, painting or whitewashing the ceiling. Today this concept is associated with a wider range of work: this is the replacement window and door profiles, partial replacement of plumbing, laying tile, installing suspended ceilings, the dismantling of sockets, switches and other things that is cosmetic repair of apartments means everything that is not related to the redevelopment of the home.
If you are planning to make cosmetic repairs in the apartment by yourself without spending much time and money, but have no construction skills, check out our recommendations.
Before you begin prepare the room in which will be the first place to do the repair: remove all items and furniture in another room, bulky or stationary objects (e.g., the wardrobe) carefully wrap with plastic wrap.
If you are planning to change the flooring, line a rimmed him sheets of dry corrugated cardboard, and the top overlapping cover film coating. To protect the skirting boards simply cover them with tape.
Don't forget to disconnect the electrical network, from switches and sockets to remove the pads and gently seal the holes of the special masking tape.
There are a few "proper" repair:
- work should always be done from top to bottom (floor to ceiling);
- the sequence of operations is performed on the principle of "from dirty to clean" (that is, first perform the most laborious and dirty work);
- redecorating a one bedroom apartment starts from the back room, that is, to move should be towards the front door, the finish step is the balcony or loggia;
- redecorating a Studio apartment, you can start directly from the room or kitchen.
If you change the Windows, doors, plumbing — this will be the next (after preparatory) stage of the work. If only walls and ceilings, then read what you need to do next.
Removal of old coatings
To start with the walls and ceiling should remove the old coating. Waterborne and conventional enamel paint are removed with a steel spatula (after which the surface is to go with a piece of sandpaper, in order to improve the adhesion of the new coating with the surface).
Lime wash is usually simply soaked with water using a roller, and then remove the excess with a spatula.
Ordinary paper and Wallpaper are also removed by maceration, more modern (e.g., washable), you can simply remove, thin layer underneath to remove optional.
Old varnish from trim, Windows and doors should only delete if it is cracking. This paint is treated with a stream of hot air from a building dryer or put on her special make-up (remover) then clean the surface with a spatula.
Now, after cleansing of the surface from old coatings, proceed to the elimination of existing defects — potholes, cracks, chips, etc Crack need to increase for better handling putty, and all the loose parts to remove, and then apply primer tool.
After complete drying in a few days, all the bumps are processed alabaster, or plaster gypsum basis with special tool — steel rectangular trowel.
After final drying, the entire surface treated primer composition, and to eliminate possible irregularities putty. It should be applied in a thin layer, not more than 2-3 mm, if necessary (for example, unevenness) — in several layers.
After preparatory work is completed, putty is completely dry, you can start to finish.
Regardless of whether you do cosmetic repairs 1 room apartment or Suite, it should start with the ceilings.
There are several ways of finishing the ceiling:
- the most easy and cheap whitewashing (but this option is completely outdated and almost never used in modern apartments);
- painting of interior paints;
- finishing decorative plaster;
- pasting polystyrene tiles (can be used as a rule for the kitchen and hallway);
- ceilings — relevant if the ceiling is supposed to have irregularities, to eliminate that there is no possibility or desire (in this case without the help of professionals can not do nothing).
For painting ceilings you will need a small paint roller with a NAP length of 1-1,5 cm, a construction tub, which you'll wring out the excess paint and, of course, easy ladders.
If you decide to paint the ceiling with water-dispersion paint, apply it in two layers. First layer dissolve (about 20-30%) to eliminate possible defects in the second layer already, apply undiluted paint.
There are plenty of options for finishing the walls. We will focus on those of them that you can make yourself, without having the vocational training and proper skills.
Wallpaper. Usually wallpapering able to handle even a beginner simply should comply with all the recommendations specified in the instructions on the package.
But there is a small trick:
- to the diluted glue did not take lumps, you pour water in a thin stream, stirring vigorously with a stick;
- if you glue the Wallpaper overlapping, we must start from the Windows at the entrance to the room, the knocks were not seen;
- to expel air bubbles from under the pasted strip of Wallpaper is needed from the center to the edges, sometimes it's even better to peel off the edges and smoothing motion from the center again.
Remnants of Wallpaper near the ceiling, above the baseboards and in doorways should be removed sharp construction knife under the metal ruler to avoid tearing.
Paint. You can use any on the market interior paints for walls, as a rule, they are applied very easily and looks beautiful. Quite interesting effect of the heterogeneous surface can be achieved with structural paint.
Painting walls is a simple matter and even exciting. There is space for imagination: you can create any shade, to paint different walls in different colors, apply any ornaments and pictures. And most importantly — if you don't like the result, the walls and repaint.
Decorative plaster. Textured (or decorative) plaster is applied on the prepared and leveled surface. Without waiting for drying, formed on the wall texture (you can show have the imagination and portray what you want).
In commercially available textured plaster already added in them pigments, marble chips and other fillers.
Of course, these are only the highlights that you will encounter, determined to make cosmetic repairs on their hands, because in this complicated matter is much more nuanced. But still, we have no doubt that you will succeed. Good luck!