Helminthic infestation in children – how to deal?
Worms, or helminths, are parasites that, when ingested in the human body, eating at his expense, can produce toxins and damage the internal organs and tissues (liver, lungs, gastrointestinal tract, brain, muscle, eyes).
The most common types of worms are pinworms (enterobiasis) and roundworm (ascariasis). To a greater degree of infestation with these parasites exposed infants and children of preschool age. This can be explained by the fact that they have not developed the skills of hygiene, and the protective system of the body does not quite work well.
The presence of worms the kid has a negative impact on his health. Impaired absorption of nutrients, vitamins, minerals, and intoxication negatively affects the nervous system, organs and tissues.
Signs and symptoms of the presence of worms in a child:
- Skin rashes;
- Frequent headaches, dizziness;
- Irregularity (constipation, diarrhea, bloating, flatulence);
- Restless sleep;
- Pronounced swelling of the feet;
- Swollen lymph nodes;
- Periodic itching in the anus;
- Allergic reactions (atopic dermatitis, bronchial asthma, allergic children during the passage of ascarids through the lungs;
- Abdominal pain, passing on their own;
- Constant fatigue;
- Bitter taste in the mouth;
- Sore muscles without exercise;
- Low temperature without cold symptoms;
- Yellowness of the mucous membranes and the skin;
- Enuresis (girls);
- Grinding the teeth in sleep;
- A decrease or increase in appetite;
- Weight loss.
What drugs from worms is better for kids?
The most effective way is that which has the greatest activity to identify the helminth. First, you need to contact a specialist parasitologist. He will give a direction on analyses and on the basis of the obtained data will determine what type of parasite in the body. Only then the doctor will prescribe medication that will effectively act on the identified helminth.
It is worth mentioning that all medical antihelminthic drugs have a pronounced toxic effect, so they can be used only by the doctor and in any case not to self-medicate.
Now among the doctors popular for the following substance: Mebendazole (Worm, Vermoxum) Piperazine (with low toxicity), Pyrantel (Nemocid, Helmintox), Albendazole (Worm, Nematol), Levamisole (Dekaris).
Prevention of worms in children
Now common preventive methods of anthelmintic drugs. Many doctors advise giving children two times a year, any remedy for worms. This is due to the imperfection of the modern diagnostics of the 10 daily 9 handed scrapings can be negative 1 positive.
Also take into account the ease of transmission among children, and lack of hygiene. Most of this applies to preschool children attending kindergartens. But most of the specialists in this field of medicine are categorically opposed to such prevention measures because they believe that to treat without an accurate diagnosis of toxic drugs incorrectly, and they are partially right.
If the baby is not complaining, it's not sick, he's not pale and has a healthy complexion, in the anus there is itching and he eats well, gaining weight, you don't need to expose it to the toxic effect of anthelmintic drugs.
But if you notice the above symptoms and suspected enterobiasis is high, even a negative result of tests is about to give medicine to prevent or rather to treat because worms are likely present.
How to bring worms in a child?
First, you need to visit a doctor, who will refer for testing.
The tests need to hold for two reasons:
- Symptoms of parasites may be harbingers of a completely different disease;
- The analysis will allow to determine the exact species of the helminth and to choose the most effective drug.
For diagnosis you need to pass some tests of the feces. A single delivery may show a negative result even if the worm is. You can also take a blood test to detect antibodies to helminths.
The results of these activities, the doctor will accurately determine the necessary treatment, because the wrong measures to combat parasites can only aggravate the situation and worsen the child's condition.
How to treat worms identified in children?
Based on the diagnosis and extent of infection, the child may appoint to anthelmintic drugs and their biologically active complexes.
Treatment mainly consists of several stages:
- Preparation of the body. Usually it is the use of vegetable oils (linseed, pumpkin) or such funds as Allahol, Enterosgel. These drugs bind toxic substances produced during the life of the worms, and do not allow them to spread further in the body;
- The use of de-worming drugs (like pharmacy and plant);
- Receiving funds, restoring the gastro-intestinal tract, liver, lungs and other affected organs and tissues.
Varieties of anthelmintic drugs
All means to combat the worms are divided into three groups: increases peristalsis of intestines, removing parasites, laxatives, deducing the dead worms.
The most frequently used remedy for worms for children is a suspension, for example, Worm, Pyrantel, Helmintox. They are the most secure and can be applied already at six months of age.
Also very popular is the syrup of "Hellonet" plant-based herbs (thyme, prunes, fennel, etc.). It is prescribed to children from 3 years.
Doctors can prescribe the pills, for example, Pyrantel, algazel, medamin for guys who are older.
A single dose of drugs, as a rule, is not enough. This may kill the adults but not the eggs. That is why 14 days after the first ingestion event is repeated.
Signs and symptoms the presence of helminthes did not require treatment. They will themselves shortly after the parasites will be destroyed and out of the body displays the toxic products of their vital activity. Sometimes use pramoxine, lidocaine, zinc oxide to reduce anal itching, but only on the advice of a doctor.
- Observe the rules of personal hygiene for all family members. Try to avoid close contacts of the child and his things with animals;
- Follow your baby's hands. Wash them before every meal;
- The purity of food. To wash vegetables and fruits, not to put clean food on the table, because it could creep flies;
- To cut the nails of the child as often as possible that can be the eggs of worms;
- To prevent worms in Pets;
- Every day to clean the toilet;
- Change bed sheets every 3-4 days;
- Wash hands after each visit to the toilet.
To avoid worm infestation you need to follow the above recommendations, but as a small child to keep track of it is difficult, in the case of infection you should never start the treatment on their own.
You should always consult a specialist, because as mentioned, anthelmintic means toxic, and can hurt if used incorrectly.