Indications for use lidocaine during pregnancy
Lidocaine is a local anesthetic agent, has anti-arrhythmic effect, used in almost all fields of medicine. It is available in various forms convenient for particular case: the solution for injection of different concentrations, aerosol, gel, spray, eye drops.
The action and composition of lidocaine
The drug in ampoules based on lidocaine hydrochloride and water for injection. In parenteral forms still contains sodium chloride. Solution in vials transparent and odorless.
Spray used for topical application, contains 4,8 mg lidocaine per dose. As auxiliary ingredients include: peppermint oil, propylene glycol and ethanol. As the solution, it is colorless, has a bitter licorice taste and similar smell.
The validity of aerosol and solution varies from 60 minutes to a half hour, but if acidosis (inflammation) of the tissues of its analgesic effect only slightly inhibited.
Lidocaine in pregnancy used most often in the form of a spray. It acts very quickly – within 1 minute.
The maximum effect lasts about 6 minutes and then gradually decreased, disappearing completely after another quarter of an hour.
Lidocaine can be used in almost all situations where you need local anesthesia. It does not irritate the tissue, dilates blood vessels, evenly distributed throughout the body, but can penetrate through the placental barrier.
Can I use lidocaine during pregnancy?
The tool is used for local anesthesia during the medical manipulation, causing pain, surgical interventions, painful endoscopic and instrumental studies. Very often it is necessary to use it in the dental practice.
Indication for the use of funds are as follows:
- Deleting and moving lost teeth;
- Excision of superficial abscesses;
- In the process laciniatum;
- Suturing for injuries or wounds in the mouth;
- Removal of bone fragments after trauma of the oral cavity;
- Fixation of a crown on a tooth;
- Installation of dental prostheses;
- The removal of the inflamed papilla of the tongue;
- In preparation for the x-rays to lower high gag reflex;
- Removal of benign tumors in the oral mucosa;
- Opening cysts of the salivary glands.
Certainly, many people know that in the period of gestation there are often problems with their teeth. That is why lidocaine is often used in pregnancy for dental treatment, but only in spray form!
Lidocaine relates to potent drugs, like all other anesthetic drugs, so there is a high likelihood of side effects.
Contraindications are the following diseases and conditions:
- Excessive bleeding;
- Severe heart failure;
- The liver;
- Infection localized in the intended site of administration;
- Individual intolerance;
- Myasthenia gravis;
- Low blood pressure;
- Cardiogenic shock.
Methods of application and dosage
The dose depends on the type of manipulation, the place of anesthesia, the patient's condition. The maximum allowable amount for an adult is 4.5 mg per kilogram of body weight. Lidocaine is used as a spray during pregnancy spray on mucous membranes.
As a rule, more likely to use in dentistry. To perform certain manipulations may need 1 to 3 shots. The dose usually depends on the area of fabrics which need to be numb.
When administered intravenously, the drug can penetrate the placental barrier, so use during this period is undesirable. However, this does not mean that it is not used. Lidocaine can be used for strict indications, for example, when threat of life of the expectant mother, and after evaluation specialist possible risks to the fetus.
It is recommended to apply it in spray form. If you follow the dosage, the danger it represents. Otherwise, in case of penetration through the placenta, the possible pathology of a child's development.
- Nervous system – headache, drowsiness, euphoria, anxiety, tinnitus, slurred speech, tremor, convulsions, blurred vision, sensation of numbness of the tongue, dizziness;
- Gastrointestinal – nausea, vomiting, disturbance of digestion;
- Heart and vessels – a sharp drop or increase in blood pressure, tachycardia, chest pain, collapse, bradycardia;
- Allergic reactions: hyperthermia, dermatitis, rashes and itching of the skin;
- Local reactions – burning at the use.
In some cases, you can reduce the standard dose of the drug, for example, during pregnancy. Also necessary to reduce the occurs when kidney and liver failure, epilepsy, diseases of the hemopoietic system.
With caution the preparation is used for injuries and damages mucous membranes, weakened patients. Using spray, it is necessary to avoid its contact with eyes, respiratory tract.
It is impossible to apply lidocaine with digitoxin, beta-blockers, kurarepodobnami drugs, ajmaline, verapamil, amiodarone, procainamide, hexenal, ingibitorami MAO, polymyxin b, cimetidine, phenytoin, ethanol, propafenone, hypnotics and sedatives (sedative) drugs.