Krossandra: rules of care, transplantation, reproduction
Splendorous plant krossandra attracts lovers of home vegetation with their bright flowers and foliage beautiful shape. There are about 50 species of this plant. The wild representatives are grown mainly in the tropical forests of Madagascar and India, but also in some African regions.
The rooms are well adapt only some varieties of this flower, in particular, krossandra yellow or krossandra Fortuna, care in the home does not present special difficulties.
However, certain rules of caring for indoor vegetation allows it to bloom brighter and bigger. The colors of this plant are mostly orange, yellow or reddish, and the leaves are soft to the touch, bright green with pointed tip and wavy edges. A flower is a plant 50-80 cm long and with a diameter of approximately 40 cm.
Care crossandra at home
There is nothing complicated to maintain home crossandra in excellent condition.
But gardeners should pay attention to some features of care, typical representative of the vegetable Kingdom.
- Lighting. This item is incredibly important, because even though these flowers originally grew in tropical climates, direct sunlight they are undesirable. Pick your beauties a place in the house where there is enough light, but do the rays diffuse, for example, fenced off by a curtain or greenery. In seasons when solar exposure is not too aggressive, you can leave the plant in the sun;
- The humidity of the air. The most suitable conditions for the growth of crossandra include high humidity – 60%. Namely, in these figures the plant feels the best way. However, to achieve a similar effect in the apartment difficult, so experienced growers go for some tricks. For example, put the pot on a tray of moss, peat and expanded clay, from time to time adding it to there water. The very leaves of the flower it should be protected from falling into the water. Also refrain from spraying the leaves with water or protyani with a damp cloth – leaves crossandra quite fragile, and excessive moisture hurting her even more.
Irrigation system for the flower must be very carefully designed. As already mentioned, the important plant moisture, but excessive wetting can destroy the flower because the root system runs the risk of rot.
In a natural environment, all the excess moisture goes into the soil, but at home can affect the poor quality of the drainage that holds too much water. That is why it is important to find the optimal balance that the soil in your pot was not wet, but wet enough for the normal development of plants.
In osenne-winter schemes stick to watering 1-2 times a week, carefully watching the degree of moisture of the soil. Best suited for irrigation of settled soft water.
Temperature for crossandra also should be moderate, sometimes it isn't easy to keep in apartments. If the temperature in the room is 20 degrees, the plant will develop quickly enough.
The problem is that this temperature is not usual for people. However, krossandra will be fine to grow under warm to 25-26 degrees, however, further increase in temperature will slow plant growth and will require you extra efforts for moisturizing.
In autumn and winter, the heat can be a little less flower would not object to a temperature 15 degrees.
However, try to avoid drafts and cold air flows. Keep vegetation away from open Windows and air conditioners.
The process of reproduction in crossandra occurs in two ways – by cuttings and seeds. As a rule, in house conditions the cuttings cause less problems than krossandra grown from seed.
Stick to breeding the best fit cuttings and young plants. Cut these parts of crossandra in the spring, and then remove all the leaves, treat the slices with special solutions for growth and planted in previously prepared soil.
Propagation by cuttings is also possible to carry out in the normal water or growth promoters, and after the formation of roots to plant the first cuttings in 6-inch pots, and after a month in the 12-inch.
Transplanting produced in the first months of spring before the flower turns into a phase of active growth. When transplanting, pay attention to the roots. If the root system has grown, you may want to choose a pot a little deeper.
If you notice that the roots do not develop or even decrease, this means that your flower is not suitable mode of irrigation or the soil in which it grows. Then crossandra need to transplant into a smaller pot, which is optimal for the size of her roots, and to reconsider before leaving. It is very important to pay attention to the drainage layer should be not less than 5 cm.
Difficulties in care crossandra
No matter how delighted us with beautiful and colourful flowers and subtropical plants, sometimes you have to face with various problems in its cultivation:
- if you notice defoliation of the plant, it is possible that the roots have dried up due to missed watering, be careful;
- too cold air can also lead to a fall foliage;
- if the tips of the leaves turned black, probably, the humidity was reduced;
- leaf mold appeared on the leaves of the flower, must be removed along with the affected parts of the plant, then treat with a fungicide;
- the flowers were bright and lush, do not forget twice a month to make fertilizer along with irrigation, excluding the period of rest;
- if the flower was affected by aphids or spider mites, treat the plant with insecticide, after removing it away from the uninfected colors;
- the lack of flowering may occur due to the lack of light or too high temperatures.
By and large, care crossandra has no global differences from the other room growing vegetation.
If you buy the flower shop, take the copies with a healthy, supple, glossy foliage. It is also important that the stems and buds had a trace of rot or parasites.