Learn to cook seafood: ways of cooking mussels and the rules for their selection
Seafood are not only tasty but also very healthy food. Today in supermarkets presents a wide range of similar products and among the available options are mussels. Fresh almost impossible to find them, but frozen can be found in almost any grocery store.
Before you ice makers clean and boil the product, but despite this, it is recommended that the home carry out additional processing.
How to choose frozen mussels?
Not to be disappointed in the taste of the seafood purchased, it is necessary to choose them right.
To do this, consider these recommendations:
- It is not recommended to buy the product in bulk, because there is no way to check how long it is stored and when it was produced. Choose options in a separate box where you can read the full information about the manufacturer;
- Pay attention to the condition of the icy glaze. It should not be much because you will pay for water. The presence of snow or any other abnormalities indicates that the product has been subjected to thawing and re-freezing. Ideal – one-piece thin layer of frosting without any defects;
- Smell the product. Ideally, no flavor should not be present, or allowed a pleasant fishy smell.
How to cook peeled and frozen mussels?
Just want to say that you need to defrost the product only once, since re-freezing does not only spoil the appearance but also worsen the taste. I need to start to leave the clams in the fridge for a few hours, and then kept at room temperature. After thawing in the refrigerator seafood can be stored for 36 hours, and then they will deteriorate.
Cooking can be done in water, milk, wine, oil and other liquids. It is important to know how to cook frozen mussels at the time, because long-term heat treatment they just become rubber.
Not to spoil the taste, must comply with the rules of heat treatment, which will be discussed below.
- Option # 1 – as a boiled-frozen mussels cooked in wine. For this heat treatment is to use a "Chardonnay" or similar drinks. Pour in the wine to the skillet, add salt and spices, designed for seafood. Put on minimum heat and add cooked frozen mussels. After boiling, boil for 5 minutes will only get it, cool slightly and serve. Perfectly complement the taste of lemon. They can be served as a separate dish or use in salads, snacks etc.;
- Option # 2 – cleaned and frozen mussels to cook right in the milk. Many prefer this method, because the milk makes the seafood tender and gives them a creamy taste. In saucepan to pour the milk and bring it to boil. Then put the main product, boil and simmer for 5 minutes. it is Recommended to stir constantly. In the end put salt to taste. The product prepared according to this recipe, ideal for rice, pasta and mashed potatoes. Diversify and improve it the taste of the salad;
- Option # 3 – how to cook in oil. Take a saucepan pour in a bit of olive oil and add the spices. Mix well and boil, then put the seafood. Let's now explore how to cook frozen and cleaned mussels in oil. The duration of the heat treatment in this case – 7 minutes Place on a paper towel folded in several layers to remove excess fat. The seafood will turn out very tasty, soft and juicy.
As in shells to cook frozen mussels?
In stores you can purchase the product together with shells and in this case, the process has its own characteristics. For a start it is necessary to carefully wash and clean mussels, removing growths. If the shells are cracked or they are open, it is better to throw away, because a clam is spoiled. Put them in a pot and cover with water in such quantity that the sink was above the liquid level. Add salt and spices to taste and place the pot on the fire.
After boiling lower the fire, the liquid slowly boiled. Now you know how much to cook the clams in shells. The duration of the heat treatment for 7-10 min. During this time the shells open and seafood is cooked. Then procente all in a colander and cool slightly. The next step – removing the shell and stiff bundles of fibers. The product can be eaten or you can cook it further in different recipes.
Cooking delicious dishes of frozen shellfish
Now let's find out what dishes you can cook seafood, which will delight both adults and children. They can be cooked not only for eating at home, but also for meeting guests and for the holidays.
Cleaned mussels with cream sauce
Let's start with the most simple, but very popular snack that can be served to guests or on a buffet.
Take such products: 1 kg of clams in shells, Laurel, pepper, lemon, 0.5 liters of cream 33%, 125 g Parmesan, 2 egg yolks, garlic, and Basil.
Step by step instructions:
- In a saucepan, pour water and boil it. Add the Bay leaf 7 peppercorns and a couple of minutes put the cleaned mussels in shells. After re-boiling, simmer everything for 10 minutes;
- To make the sauce, mix the cream with grated cheese, egg yolks, and add pressed garlic and chopped Basil. All carefully mix with a whisk until smooth;
- Remove the mussels, peel the shell and remove the clams. To make it easy, because the shell needs to open up. Take a baking sheet, lay out half shells and place the clams. In each, add a few teaspoons of the prepared sauce. Place baking sheet in oven and bake at 200 degrees for 10 minutes.
Known around the world French soup, which is served in many restaurants. Now you will learn how to cook it at home. The amount of ingredients is for 6 servings.
Take these products: onion, 3 cloves of garlic, couple of sprigs of thyme, 3 tbsp olive oil, tomato, Laurel, salt, pepper, 1 teaspoon saffron, in 325 g of frozen mussels in the shell and shrimp and 1 kg of fish fillet.
Step by step instructions:
- To properly cook the soup, you must prepare the products. Peeled onion and garlic finely chop and then put in a pot with a thick bottom, where necessary to preheat a couple of tablespoons of oil. There lay the thyme;
- Tomatoes peel, cut into small dice and add to the onions. There also send Bay and saffron. Pour a couple of glasses of water and boil. Put salt, pepper and simmer for 25 min.;
- Shrimp, clean the mussels thoroughly wash brush, and fillet cut into small pieces. Send the fish to the soup and simmer for 5 minutes. then put the seafood and cook for another 10 min. after the time, remove the fish with the seafood and set them aside in a plate;
- What is left in the pan should be wiped through a sieve, and the resulting mass back and pour in the remaining oil. Boil, add fish, seafood, and salt and pepper. Turn off the heat and leave the soup under the lid for a while to infuse.
Now you know all the possible ways, how to cook frozen mussels by cooking. Choose the most suitable option and use it for preparing delicious meals.