Pastime: modeling dough
Modeling of salt dough is a very broad topic, the study of which is useful and interesting to deepen. This is especially true of those who have dealt with similar material, or going to have fun with your own child.
To sculpt from this material entertaining and fun, as each recipe of raw materials allows you to make new and unexpected discoveries, and numerous options for the treatment of the test allow you to get the interesting figures and crafts.
Universal recipe is salt dough
To achieve the desired consistency will help an electric mixer:
- Prepare two cups of flour, which, without changing the total volume, add 0.5 cups of starch. His presence will be the guarantee of a flexible and pliable mass, from which very comfortably to mold thin elements according to the type of flower petals;
- To the flour add one half-full glass of water, same amount of salt and a couple spoons of PVA;
- Instead of water, it is permissible to use a paste made of starch. All the ingredients are mixed until the mixture acquires consistency, and elasticity. If it came out watery, feel free to add the right amount of flour.
Plasticity test, you can increase one simple technique, namely to boil the jelly with one tablespoon of potato powder and two cups of water. Transparent substance is used instead of water.
Options painting salt dough
What would the recipe for the main consumable is chosen, the basis for modeling can be tinted with watercolors, gouache or food pigments. Moreover, the staining can be made in the process of kneading, and after the final product is ready.
For example, real chocolate color can be obtained by using conventional cocoa. Also allowed a variety of experiments with color of natural origin: soot, ochre, juice of carrots and so on. If you want to achieve a natural hue, like a figurine or a toy from the test should just be baked in the oven.
Tinting crafts, you need to consider the fact that after drying, the paint becomes slightly dimmer your primary option. To return to her brightness and saturation by varnishing. The varnish can be art or acrylic, although it is permissible to use coatings designed for wood, parquet and so on.
The methods and subtleties of making a test based on the salt
Through years of practice, the use of such material for needlework, has identified a list of things that are categorically not applicable to the salt test.
- Unacceptable use of flour with additives, since the figures can rise in the process of drying or even to crack;
- Salt dough for sculpting not to do with the use of iodized salt. Its particles are unable to dissolve completely, making the whole mass of heterogeneous and riddled with pellets. The same advice applies and in relation to normal rock salt, which had previously and necessarily dissolved in water;
- For Foundation definitely better to use cold water which should be poured in portions of 50 ml After each liquid is added, the mass should be thoroughly stirred. This is done because different flours behave differently in the process of mixing, not consuming the same amount of water;
- Initially, the salt needs to mix with the flour, and then there is added liquid;
- Mass for modeling, prepared for the future, should be stored in a container made of plastic or a plastic bag. In the case of creative impulses, the mass gets small pieces, otherwise it quickly becomes covered with a dry crust, adversely affecting the quality and aesthetics of the finished crafts.
How to fix possible defects?
Even experienced masters need to correct some errors that arise when working with salt dough.
Consider the most common ones and their solutions:
- If the figures seem a bit thick, after the first stage of work with them, remove the excess material with their inner side;
- The ground was very soft? In a separate container, mix a tablespoon of flour and salt, to the resulting mixture kom press ready material and mash it. Do this until you obtain a mass of desired density;
- Sculpt and cut the salt figure can be directly on the baking sheet. Latest pre-moistened with water. This is done in order to prevent air bubbles on the back side of the product;
- If DIY is something disappeared, do not despair, all is corrected with ordinary PVA glue which leaves no traces of its use.
In some cases, the dough may Slough or crack?
This can occur for several reasons. First, it can be wrong meal. Thus, the desired level of durability ensures the presence in the mass of rye flour, even if the amount of the 1st glass.
PVA glue or 50 g of potato powder is also give flexibility. Second, you could be wrong with a tumble dryer. If the cracks appeared after painting, then most likely you did not dossil crafts. No need to rush and cover the product with paints and varnishes.
How to dry the dough?
If you have time, dry the figures are better for the natural environment. But this process can take a week or more, that depends entirely on the level of humidity in the ambient air.
Therefore, almost all mistresses, no matter what recipe salt dough for hand sculpting they used to bake their creations in the oven, while adhering to simple rules:
- The oven should be set at minimum temperature;
- Well, if drying will occur if the door is ajar;
- Crafts can not be directly put into the preheated oven. Heating must occur slowly and without extremes, as well as the extraction process;
- Drying it is better to implement in stages: hour drying one side, and an hour – another. Masters do kind of breaks when the ready figure an hour for drying in the oven or a day at room conditions.
The period of complete drying depends entirely on the thickness of the product and the recipe, which made the initial mass. For example, if you use the oil or cream, the drying process will be even longer.
So you want something to sculpt from salt dough and not have to deal with the problem it is cracking, dry billet in a few see that. For example, it may be in slightly opened oven for an hour and a half, and then the device turned off for 2-3 hours or at all at night, then the whole procedure is repeated.
Some practical advice
Regardless of sculpt from salt dough, followed by natural drying or drying in the oven, the crafts need to flip every hour. Also consider the fact that the fresh weight and the one that has been in the refrigerator for a few days, will vary in shade.
If you want to achieve interesting textures and patterns, use special dies, although you can use ordinary toothpicks, embossed buttons, nozzles pastry syringe and so on.